We were able to present Doreen and the Chilliwack Community Cupboard with a cheque for $1000 to help support their program in our local schools. This is a program that focuses specifically on families with school age children to make sure they have access to the necessities. You can check out their Facebook Page linked above for more details or to better understand how to help.
Next, our guest speaker, Walter Krahn, spoke about his life and times in the Lower Mainland, specifically Chilliwack. Walter was a school district employee for 35 years, and an administrator for 33 of those years. One thing he said that I think resonated with all of us was the "schools belong to their communities." As an organization that focuses on children, I think we all agree, when kids have their schools as safe places to be, an amazing environment is created. Walter also spoke to us about his work with the BC Lottery Corporation in designing the 'curriculum' for #GameSense and gambling awareness. I have included the link so you can check it out! Walter also talked a little about politics, but it was nice to get to know one of Chilliwack's own without the extras, after all it is the people who make Chilliwack awesome not the politics! He left us four nuggets in which to live our life and to think about:
- Embrace life long learning
- Relationships are critical
- Hearts for Service
- Live with Integrity
- Do not forget to fill out the Club survey Michelle sent out on behalf of Gov. Roger Bell
- Soup Kitchen this past weekend served 122 clients and 3 children
- Don't forget, the trailer committee needs help Saturday for the Hot Rod show, set-up at 3pm
- Dennis circulated some photos of potential branding to go on the Food Trailer, some feedback was given, but we need more insight, Kiwanis need not be "the best kept secret" so let's get out there and make our Club famous
- Next week information about the annual Installation and (Pig) Roast BBQ will be made available, it is the social even of the summer!